Species 1.6 is now available at Exocortex.com. This update adds great new features, improvements, and functionality for users. Check out the video for this release:
What is Species?
Exocortex Species simplifies the process of human character creation from designing your character’s unique attributes, integrating sculpting results, to rig creation, even animation. With Species, you will create higher quality animated characters faster and at a lower cost, while avoiding the generic look that often come when purchasing off-the-shelf models. Exocortex Species supports Autodesk Softimage 2010 through 2013 on both Windows and Linux. Floating and node locked licenses are available starting at $299.
Improvements in Species 1.6
Custom PropRig Import
- A new preference that allows the user to define a directory to export and import customized PropRigs for repeated use. PropRigs within those folders are now listed in the Species > Build > Import Custom menu split into “Male” and “Female” sub-menus.
Plot Limb Anim Tool Feature
- An addition to our AnimTools is the new Plot Limb command which allows you to plot and transfer motion between FK and IK for both arms and legs. This utilizes the MatchFKIK command and plots the motion during the active time range.
Improved High Res Body Mesh topology and deformation
- We’ve updated the body mesh for both male and female characters. The new meshes are more detailed, fully quaded, and have more evenly distributed topology for better deformation and high end sculpting.
New Low Res and Proxy Body Meshes
- A new quad based low res body mesh for faster interaction while animating (~40 FPS playback).
- A new cube based proxy body mesh for super fast interaction while animating (~40-50 FPS playback).
New Body Shapes
- Old and Young shapes for varying the age of your Species characters.
- Top Heavy and Bottom Heavy shapes for adding mass to either the upper or lower half of your Species characters.
- Chest expand and Chest contract shapes for inflating and deflating the chest of your Species characters.
- Updated synoptics with new controls to switch mesh resolution and smoothing.
- Individual control reset combos. Press Ctrl+Shift+LMB on any synoptic control to reset, and Press Ctrl+Shift+MMB on a control to reset a whole branch.
ReplaceMesh command re-written
- The ReplaceMesh command has been rewritten and expanded to now include the ability to replace the BodyLow and BodyProxy meshes if necessary.
- AnimRig Vertebrae 02 and 03 deformers misaligned
Getting Species 1.6
If you are not yet using Exocortex Species, give it a try by downloading the trial from the Exocortex Species product page.
For those already using Exocortex Species, you can download the 1.6 update directly from here.
Join the Species User Community
Get the most out of Exocortex Species by joining our user support and discussion mailing list, viewing our online documentation, and check out our many tutorial videos on our Vimeo group. These are the best places to learn about Species and get the latest news directly from the developers.